As the weather warms up and the days grow longer, many homeowners start to think about sprucing up their outdoor space for the spring season. One of the most versatile and attractive materials for transforming a garden is timber. We are Somerset timber and timber products supplier and whether you’re looking to add a touch of rustic charm or create a modern, sleek aesthetic, timber features like timber fencing, decking, sleepers, and wooden picnic benches can help you achieve your goals. In this article, we’ll explore some tips and ideas for using timber to transform your garden this spring.
Timber Fencing Ideas
Fencing is an essential element of any garden, providing privacy, security, and a boundary between your space and the outside world. As a south west timber and timber products company, we know that timber fencing is a popular choice for transforming parts of a garden, offering a natural look and a range of finishes and styles to suit any taste. Here are some tips for using timber fencing to transform your garden this spring:
- Choose the right type of timber. Different types of timber have different characteristics, including color, grain, and durability. Some popular choices for fencing include cedar, redwood, and pressure-treated pine. Consider the look you want to achieve, as well as the climate and exposure to elements in your area.
- Consider the style of fencing. Timber fencing comes in a range of styles, from classic picket to modern horizontal slats. Think about the architecture of your home and the overall aesthetic you want to achieve. Vertical pickets can give a more traditional look while horizontal slats can give a contemporary feel.
- Use wooden fencing to define areas of your garden. Fencing doesn’t just provide privacy and security, but it can also be used to create distinct zones in your garden. Use fencing to enclose a seating area, a vegetable patch or flowerbed, or a children’s play area.
We are a leading south west timber decking supplier and decking is a popular feature in modern gardens, providing a comfortable and attractive space for outdoor entertaining and relaxation. Timber decking is a particularly popular choice, offering a natural look and a range of finishes to suit any style. Here are some tips for using timber decking to transform your garden this spring:
- Choose the right type of timber decking. As with fencing, different types of timber have different characteristics. Consider the climate and exposure to elements in your area, as well as the level of maintenance you’re willing to undertake. Softwoods like treated pine are popular because they’re affordable, easy to work with, and can be stained or painted any color.
- Consider the style and layout of your decking. Decking boards can be used to create a range of effects, from a simple rectangular platform to a multi-level space with built-in seating, planters, and lighting. Think about the size of your garden, the position of the sun, and the views you want to take advantage of.
- Use decking to connect indoor and outdoor spaces. One of the great benefits of decking is that it can provide a seamless transition between your indoor and outdoor spaces. Consider creating a patio or pergola adjacent to your decking to create an inviting outdoor living area.
Timber Sleepers – New And Reclaimed Garden Railway Sleepers
Sleepers are large, rectangular blocks of timber that can be used for a variety of landscaping purposes. They’re particularly useful for creating retaining walls, raised garden beds, and steps. Timber sleepers can add a natural and rustic touch to your garden, and they’re surprisingly easy to work with. Here are some tips for using timber sleepers to transform your garden this spring:
- Choose the right type of timber railway sleepers. As with fencing and decking, different types of timber have different characteristics. Consider the exposure to elements in your area, as well as the desired look and level of maintenance. Hardwoods like oak sleepers are popular because they’re durable and can be left untreated. You may also want to consider whether new timber sleepers or reclaimed sleepers are best for your project.
- Think about the height and layout of your sleepers. Sleepers can be used to create raised garden beds, steps, and retaining walls. Think about the height and layout you want to achieve. Raised garden beds can make it easier to plant and maintain a vegetable garden, while steps can create a gradual transition between different levels of your garden. Retaining walls can be used to level out a sloping garden or create a terraced effect.
- Use sleepers creatively. Timber sleepers are versatile and can be used for a range of landscaping purposes. For example, you can use them to create a seating area or a feature wall. You can also use them to create pathways or to edge flower beds.
Timber Picnic Benches For The Garden
A wooden picnic bench is a classic feature in any garden, providing a comfortable and attractive space for outdoor dining and relaxation. Timber picnic benches are a popular choice, offering a natural look and a range of finishes to suit any style. Here are some tips for using timber picnic benches to transform your garden this spring:
- Choose the right type of timber picnic bench. As with other timber features, different types of timber have different characteristics. Consider the exposure to elements in your area, as well as the desired look and level of maintenance. Softwoods like pine are popular because they’re affordable and easy to work with, while hardwoods like oak and teak are more durable.
- Consider the style and size of your wooden picnic bench. Picnic benches come in a range of styles and sizes, from classic rectangular tables to more modern designs with built-in planters or storage. Think about the size of your garden, the number of people you want to accommodate, and the overall aesthetic you want to achieve.
- Use picnic benches to create an outdoor dining area. Picnic benches are perfect for outdoor dining, whether you’re hosting a barbecue, a family dinner, or a casual brunch. Consider creating a designated outdoor dining area with your picnic bench, complete with lighting and decor to create a welcoming atmosphere.
Let Brookridge Store Help With Your Garden Transformation
Timber features like fencing, decking, sleepers, and picnic benches can transform your garden and give it a fresh, new look for the spring season. By choosing the right type of timber and considering the style and layout of your features, you can create a beautiful and functional outdoor space that you and your family can enjoy for years to come. So, get creative with timber and let your imagination run wild this spring.